This post has expired! It was posted more than 60 days ago.
Training and Development Specialist
Posted date [Sep-02-2016]
GENERAL STATEMENT: The Montana Environmental Training Center (METC) is the center of State training coordination and implementation for the water and wastewater industry and other environmental areas in Montana. METC is a training organization whose goals are to provide a base for state training and coordination between training and technical assistance providers; to develop and implement effective training and technical guidance for water and wastewater operators, managers, and other environmental and public health professionals; to help ensure the preservation of the large public investment in water and wastewater systems through public and professional awareness and education; and to improve the quality of the states water by promoting wise use and management of resources.
Activities implemented to achieve these goals include (among others) planning, coordinating and processing through printing and distribution of an annual training calendar to include events sponsored by METC ( approximately 25-30 per year) and other training organizations; planning, organizing and implementing training sessions; developing, through contracted services or in-house work, specific training materials and modules; assessing water/wastewater industry training needs and incorporating those needs into future training events.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1) Facilitate and/or instruct water and wastewater and other environmentally related training
2) Participate in the production of the annual training calendar.
3) Maintenance of METC Website.
4) Research State and Federal Laws and Policies related to the water and wastewater
5) Explore ways in which to develop training opportunities in the Bakken Oil region based on
environmental impacts related to potable water treatment and distribution and wastewater
collection and treatment (5%).
6) Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
1) A Bachelor of Science Degree with a science background such as Water Quality, Water
Resources, Chemistry, Biology, Ecology, Hydrology or other related scientific field OR
equivalent work experience as Montana Class 1 Certified Water, Wastewater or Distribution
operator (or equivalent from another state) is required.
2) A valid drivers license.
3) Knowledge or experience in the various aspects of the water and wastewater industry.
4) The ability to work with and communicate with professional staff, water and wastewater
professionals and the general public, both on an individual basis and in presentations to
5) A general knowledge of adult learning processes. Increased knowledge of these processes will be gained through experiences in facilitating and/or teaching courses and through professional development opportunities on the job.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS EXPERIENCE, EDUCATION, KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
1) Current certification as a class 1 surface water treatment, class 1 wastewater treatment or
class 1 distribution operator, operator-in-training, or laboratory technician.
2) Experience as an environmental trainer, educator, or regulator.
THE SUCCESSFUL CANDIDATE WILL:
1) Be efficient with Microsoft Office programs, especially Word, Excel, Access, Outlook and
2) Be at ease operating office equipment such as desktop and laptop computers and
projectors, printers, copy machines, fax machines.
3) Be able to operate recording equipment including video and still cameras.
SPECIAL REQUIREMENTS: Travel within Montana to facilitate and/or teach courses is required. Travel is usually alone and in a state-owned utility van or sedan.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: Training equipment and materials must be lifted, transported and set-up for use at training sites. The ability to 10 to 50 pounds is necessary. Moderate walking is required. Exposure to wastewater samples is sometimes necessary.